11 November 2016

Armistice Day 1918 in Tennessee

It is Veterans Day in the United States. Originally called Armistice Day and signifying the formal end of World War 1 in 1918, November 11 became known as Veterans Day in 1954.

My Shelton ancestors were living in White County, Tennessee, on 11 November 1918. While browsing the Library of Congress newspaper collection online, I came across The Chattanooga News, published in Chattanooga, Tennessee, located about 100 miles south of Sparta in White County. Their headlines read "Final Terms Drastic" and "Terms of Armistice Tie Hun Hands Completely." One article, with a more home-front focus, has the headline "Wilson Orders All Draft Calls to be Cancelled."

Source: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85038531/1918-11-11/ed-1/seq-1/
While I am unsure whether or not my ancestors received a newspaper, I have no doubt that the news of the war's end spread quickly throughout the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment